Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thoughts of the Future


This is the place that I will be staying at for the next 10 months. It is located in Chile and is called La Serena. It is quite a coincidence that I, Serena Marie Thomas, was placed in La Serena, Chile.

You must not laugh at me right now but this is my first blogging thing ever and I don't really know if i should type like I'm talking to people or just writing things down for myself so that I remember. So here I go.

Chile. For 10 months. Actually, probably more like 11 1/2 months. Not sure yet because I get to choose when I come home as long as it is under 365 days. My ticket only lasts that long. It will be my senior year and very very different.

Right now I am at Concordia Spanish Camp working in the kitchen and having a great time. I love all the people here and have really made some great friends. Being at a Spanish camp would be a great advantage to me because it would give me the opportunity of speaking Spanish and getting caught up on some thing. Ehhh... Well in the kitchen we all speak English unless the campers are around. Also, when the staff go to hang out with the others, we do speak English but when Spanish is spoken, I get a little shy. I hate making mistakes, and I think that since I know that these people can speak English, it doesn't make me actually want or "need" to speak Spanish. So basically what I am saying is that camp is not helping me as much as I thought it might but that is mostly my fault.

10+ months. It still makes me nervous. A new place to live, new family, new school (for the 3rd time), and a new language all in one big package. Hmmmm, I feel like I want to run right to it with open arms but other times I want to run away from it. Luckily, it is more run to it. I feel like it is going to be one of the greatest adventures of my life. I am pretty confident that I will love it and not want to come back until I have to but the beginning will the difficult part. I am glad that I have some what of a head start on my language ability thought. That is very nice.

Leaving home is super exciting to me. I always loved to go to camp and to be gone from home for a month. The bad part is that you have to leave all the great people that are involved with your at the moment and the fact that you don't get to see them till a year has passed. Everyone and everything will be different. People will have become more of who they will be for the rest of their lives, including me, and we all don't exactly know those people will still mesh when we all meet up again. It a difficult thing to think about. Also, the time that I am gone will allow me to miss out on things that pulls my friends closer together. I really hope that I will come home and things will be like old times, but they probably won't. But we will see how that turns out and I'm sure that that will be an adventure of it's own. I can't wait. :)

I know that this blog thing is sort of a weird thing for me to do, but it is a good way for me to let all of those that read it know what and how I'm doing down in the south. So just let me flow. Haha. Ok. First entry: done.

4 comments:

  1. I know you're stil here, I just wanted to say hi before you go. Guess what.. I found a typo! Check what you wrote under the main title. :) Well chica, I hope you write often in this blog. I can't wait to read about your adventures.

    -Joaq

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always write! I have so many people to informed. I love it. I hope you read them all. TQM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serena,
    This blog will be a great place for you to record your thoughts and feelings and a way for all of us who love you to keep informed. It will be wonderful! I'm so envious! When I spent my 9 months in France (21 years ago) I kept a journal and wrote LOTS of letters home. The problem is I only have the journal and not the letters. This you'll be able to keep forever.

    Te quiero mucho!
    I look forward to keeping up with your life in Chile. Make the most of it, in the good and the bad times. It will be an amazing experience, the best you've ever had - even on the days when it is the worst.

    Take and give care,
    Kika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Kika. Im really trying to make everything go smoothly. :) and so far it´s working. And im excited to be able to have this forever!

    TQM

    ReplyDelete